Join us for Innovations in Flight Family Day and Outdoor Aviation Display on Saturday, June 18, 2016 at the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center in Chantilly, Virginia. See some of our activities from 2015.
- Outdoor Aviation Display
See nearly 50 vintage, recreational, and home-built aircraft, and talk to the pilots about how and why they fly.
- Vintage Car Display
See vintage cars paired by era with the airplanes.
- A United Airlines Boeing 777 You Can Enter
- World War II Reenactors
- Plant Your Own Victory Garden
- Virginia Department of Aviation
- Federal Aviation Administration Communications Support Team Emergency Response Vehicle
- Ask Me About Drones!
Presented by Roger Connor, Museum Specialist from the Aeronautics Department
- “Horten 229” Ask an Expert Talk
Presented by Russ Lee, Chair of the Aeronautics Department
- Learn about the Wright Kite
Presented by Tom Crouch, Senior Curator in the Aeronautics Department
- Meet an Astronaut
Presented by NASA astronaut Clay Anderson
- Flights of Fancy Story Time and Hands-On Activity
What Do You Do With an Idea? by Kobi Yamada
- Experience hands-on learning through discussion and interaction with Discovery Stations and other activities.
- Take part in a Paper Airplane Design Challenge.
- Build and decorate your own sled kite.
- Accept the Wind Tunnel Design Challenge.
- Make a paper-copter.
- Try a hands-on propeller activity.
- Experience Glider Flight Simulators used in flight training with the Skyline Soaring Club.
- Participate in Air Traffic Pattern Hands-on Activity for tots.
ALL DAY PRESENTATIONS
- Talk with Jan Sylvester about Commemorative Air Force, National Squadron WWII memorabilia.
- Learn more about Flight School Electronic Fieldtrip Partnerships with the Fairfax County Public Schools Fairfax Network.
- Learn how to patent your ideas with staff from the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
- Take part in aviation talks, interviews, and podcasts with Airplane Geeks Radio Show.
- Learn about careers in aviation with the U.S. Air Force Academy and Way of Life Alumni Group.
- Discover more about the WACO Aircraft with the Museum’s Archives Department.
- Talk with International Plastic Modelers Society members about the history of scale aircraft modeling.
- Find out about “Partners in the Sky” with the Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute/Conservation Ecology Center of the National Zoological Park, Front Royal, VA.
- Talk to U.S. Naval Academy Pilots about careers in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math).
- Talk to Kashmir World Foundation staff about DaVinci Challenge: Build a Drone Workshops.
- Dave Baranek, author of Top Gun Days
- Col. Wolfgang Samuel, author of American Raiders, Coming to Colorado, German Boy, Glory Days, I Always Wanted to Fly, In Defense of Freedom, The War of Our Childhood, and Watson’s Whizzers
- NASA astronaut Thomas D. Jones, author of Sky Walking, Hell Hawks, and Planetology
- NASA astronaut Clayton Anderson, author of The Ordinary Spaceman: From Boyhood Dreams to Astronaut